- 28 years of coaching, instruction and hockey leadership experience.
- Played 4 years of NCAA hockey at the University of Alabama-Huntsville, winning the Division II National Championship in 1998 while captaining the team.
- Recipient of the President’s Award, given to the top athlete at UAH based on academic, community and athletic performance. Also received the Dr. Jeanne Fisher award, the Civic Service award and the Iwin/McGraw-Hill Finance service award.
- Graduated with a degree in Finance and received his MBA from UAH in 2002.
- Went on to serve as an Assistant Coach at UAH for four years.
- Currently resides in Killen, AL with his wife Heather, daugher Bailey and son Mac
NASHVILLE, Tennessee – Total Package Hockey “TPH” and Premier Ice Prospects “PIP” join forces to support the Smashville Girls Hockey Showcase for Tier I Girls’ teams, 12U-14U-16U-19U in conjunction with the Smashville NCAA Women’s Hockey Showcase to be held over Thanksgiving every year!
“The Predators are creating an amazing event that will couple elite girls’ hockey with the collegiate tournament; providing girls the opportunity to play in a high-level tournament and see some of the top caliber Division-one teams in action,” said Kathy Pippy, PIP Girls Hockey Director. “PIP is excited to partner with another industry leader, TPH to establish the Smashville Girls Hockey Showcase as a highly-competitive, highly-scouted annual event over Thanksgiving weekend!”
Last month the Nashville Predators announced the formation of the Smashville NCAA Women’s Hockey Showcase in partnership with TPH and PIP, indicating the 2021 participating collegiate teams will be 2021 NCAA Championship qualifiers Boston College Eagles and Colgate Raiders, who will be joined by the Mercyhurst Lakers and the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. In 2022 the participating teams will include 2021 NCAA Champion Wisconsin Badgers, NCAA Runners-up Northeastern Huskies and Penn State Lions and Princeton Tigers.
“The Nashville Predators continue to lead by example in hockey, but most importantly, they also continue to do so in the community,” Total Package Hockey CEO Nathan Bowen said. “This support of and investment in growing women’s and girl’s hockey is just another of the many examples of the Predators organization’s consistent commitment and actions. We are excited for the opportunity to work with Premier Ice Prospects and the Nashville Predators to support this incredible opportunity for growth of girl’s hockey.”
The 2021 edition of the Smashville Girls Hockey Showcase will take place November 26-28th, with the NCAA games occurring on the 26th and 27th. Boston College will play Colgate and Minnesota will play Mercyhurst on Friday, with the winners of those games facing off in the championship game Saturday afternoon and the losers playing for bronze.
For additional information on the Smashville Girls Hockey Showcase, please go to www.premiericeprospects.com or click here to register your team today!
TPH is proud to announce the launch of TPH IQ – hockey IQ development for the aspiring elite hockey player! The game today is faster and more sophisticated than ever, and TPH believes it is our responsibility to not only train our player to be great with the puck, but also without the puck! In partnership with The Prospect Exchange, TPH’s professional network of coaches will be providing hockey IQ development for hockey players nationwide, through shift video breakdown and statistical analysis.
TPH IQ will focus on 3 main things: patterns, pressure, and position. Our coaches will help you recognize patterns and ques while watching your film. They will also talk about how to read pressure and make quicker, more educated decisions based on that pressure. Finally, your coach will talk to you about your position and how you can be more effective in your position on your team.
“TPH is always striving to be on the cutting edge of player development. That is why we partnered with The Prospect Exchange (TPE) last summer and that is why TPH IQ was born”, stated TPH CEO Nathan Bowen. “John Becanic’s years of coaching experience, innovation, and leadership has played a critical role in helping us launch this for our players nationwide. We will continue to rely on John’s expertise and experience in developing smarter and more effective players at TPH across the country. All student-athletes at the TPH Center of Excellence will get TPH IQ training now, taking our development to the next level.”
“Sitting down with my coach for an IQ session helped me identify some small details that I could improve with my positional play. It also helped gain confidence in my game.” – TPH CoE 10th Grade Student-Athlete
“The Prospect Exchange is delighted to partner with TPH in this venture. TPE’s primary goal has always been to provide increased exposure for student-athletes and directly connect them with coaches at the next level. With technology becoming a daily part of a player’s development, our platform in collaboration with TPH coaches became a natural solution”, states John Becanic, co-founder of TPE.
“As a coach who is passionate about hockey IQ, the implementation of this program excites me knowing the increased development each TPH Center of Excellence student-athlete will receive. Using The 4 Components of Hockey as the foundation of this development, TPH’s coaches will be able provide each player with detailed and specific areas of improvement with and without the puck”.
How does the program work?
- Players can sign up for a 3 or 5 game TPH IQ package with a coach of their choosing.
- Go to www.theprospectexchange.com and create a profile, if they don’t already have one.
- Upload your game video. It’s best to choose a game with good video quality where the player was involved and it wasn’t a blowout one way or the other. Uploading game film is easy on TPE, here’s HOW.
- Schedule your TPH IQ session with your coach.
- Sit with your coach, review your statistical analysis on TPE and then watch your game and focus on how YOU can EARN MORE ICE TIME!
“We could not be more excited to provide this opportunity to our players. We think TPH IQ is a differentiator for our student-athletes at the Center of Excellence and impact players development who are not in the Center of Excellence as well!” Added Bowen.
- Graduated with a BA in History from Kenyon College, a JD from DePaul University and was admitted to the Bar in the states of Illinois, Florida, Georgia and California.
- Coached youth and ACHA hockey over a twenty year period.
- On the Board of Directors for the Southern Amateur Hockey Association for twelve years and on the Board of Directors for USA Hockey for six years.
- Married with three sons.
- Played Defense for the Metropolitan Riveters in the NWHL 2019-2020
- Played at Shattuck St. Mary’s Prep and played Division III hockey at both Hamline University and Neumann College.
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration from Georgia State University in 2007.
- Has been instructing and coaching hockey for almost 20 years.
- Competed on American Ninja Warrior Season 9 (2017) and 12 (2020)
- Started and manages the Southern Thunder national bound women’s hockey program.